Saina Nehwal is one of the greatest Badminton players has ever produced and is considered the “Pride and Queen of Indian Badminton”.She represent India three times in the Olympics and In London Olympics 2012 she won the Bronze for India.
Born on 17 march 1990 to Harvir singh Nehwal and Usha Nehwal in Hisar,Haryana.Saina Nehwal grew up in Haryana but at the age of 8 in 1998, she along with her family shifted to Hyderabad after the transfer of her father to Hyderabad. Her mother was also a state-level badminton player for Haryana. She was trained under the guidance of Former Indian Badminton Player Pullela Gopichand but later in 2014, She Joined Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy in Banglore. In 2018 she married Parupalli Kashyap an Indian Shuttler and an Arjuna Award winner. She also joined Politics with Bhartiya Janta Party on 29 Jan 2020 and clarifies that It is PM Modi’s hard work that “inspires” her to join the politics.
The following are the famous and prestigious awards she was awarded:
- In 2009 Saina Nehwal was awarded with Arjuna Award which is the second highest sporting honour of India.
2. In 2010 she won Padma Shri the 4th highest civilian award of India which is given every year on Republic Day.
3.In the same year 2010 she was also chosen for the Major Dhyan Chand Award formerly known as the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award which is considered the highest Sporting honor of India.
4. In 2016 She won Padma Bhushan’s 3rd highest civilian award which is awarded for the higher-order service to the nation in any field.
- Winning bronze in the 2012 London Olympics was Saina Nehwal‘s one of greatest achievements.
2. Became First Indian Badminton Player to win an Olympic medal for India.
3. She became World no 1 in Badminton in the year 2015 and also attain the second position in the year 2009.
4. Overall she won 24 International titles with 10 Superseries titles in it.
5. In 2006 Nehwal became the first player by winning the “Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament”.
6. In the same year 2006, she became the youngest player from Asia and the First Indian woman to win a 4-star tournament namely Phillippines open.
7. Won silver in 2015 and a bronze in 2017 at Badminton World Federation World Championship.
8. Won a Gold in 2010 and 2018 Commonwealth Games Respectively.
9. Won Bronze In 2018 Asian Games at Jakarta, Indonesia.
10. Won a Bronze each in 2010,2016 and 2018 at the Asian Championship
20 year Old Malvika Bansod becomes only the Second Indian after PV Sindhu to defeat the Badminton Queen Saina Nehwal in Yonex Sunrise Indian Open 2022, later it was revealed that it was a dream come true for Malvika to play against her “Idol” Saina Nehwal.
You may also like – Bhagat Singh- Know All About The Fearless Freedom Fighter